Thursday, May 25, 2006

Basketball again!

One thing about me is that I have always been a baskeball junkie. I have been playing since I was 7 years old (so that makes....a long time!), and still get as much of a thrill out of playing now as I did 20 years ago. I still get that tingle of excitement stepping out onto the court, warming up with jumpshots, and then the actually playing of the game. I have always preferred pickup games to organized leagues...out on the playground, you referee your own games, you can make the games as physical as you want, and there is a camaraderie in those games that aren't found in a more organized setting. The pickup game is played for the love of the game, and nothing more (well..yes..the exercise, but thats a given!). There are no trophies, no championships, just pure ball. And the best part is that if you lose, you know you will be playing again within a few minutes, or immediately if multiple games are going on at the playground, with a new team that might be a better mix of players.

So, why write about all this? Because I had stopped playing for several months because I was too busy at my new hospital. But the desire to play, the need for the physical release, and the growing belly all spurred me on to say, "Fuck it! Its time to play ball again!" And so, the other day, I ventured out again to my "temple"-- the basketball courts at the local playgrounds...to play once more. Although I ended up playing mainly with high schoolers young enough to be my sons, I sort of...kind of held my own...actually managed to win a game or two...and, three hours later, finished with a few hugs and high fives, and, most importantly, with the return of a very warm feeling inside. Of course...don't ask about the morning after...thats an entirely different story!!!

No comments: