Tuesday, May 23, 2006

A Homeless story

A good friend of mine wrote in his blog the other day about his experience with the homeless where he lives, and it reminded me of a story of my encounter with a particular homeless man. I did my residency at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, which is located in the Washington Heights section of NYC. In this area, especially around the hospital, are quite a few homeless. When I used to leave the parking garage to head home over the George Washington Bridge, I used to go out of along the Riverside Drive exit. There, at the corner of Riverside Drive and 165th Street, I used to encounter the same homeless man, who was equipped with a squeegy, pail and towel. He would try to wash everyone's windows who's cars were stopped at the light. Although most people would shoo him away, I always let him clean my windows, and would always give him a dollar or two. After a while, we actually developed a repoire, and would end up having some small talk...he would always ask how my day went at the hospital, tell his plans for getting his life back together after sharing how it fell apart, etc. After a while, I actually looked forward to our chats. And then one day, he absolutely shocked me by refusing to take my money anymore, and would insist on cleaning my windows for free. He told me how our conversations, and the kindness I showed him meant more to him than any money I could give him...

This touched me so very deeply; maybe because it showed me that there is goodness and a humanness in everyone, and that the simple act of showing some kindness to one's fellow man can lift you so spiritually, that words fail to explain the feeling it brings inside. I obviously lost touch with him after completing my residency, and I always have hoped he got his life back together. But the feelings our encounters brought me will stay with me a lifetime!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are the best. I agree with you... I always believe that we should render help to the needy when it is possible. A kind word could actually save a life.....